- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Following Steven Tyler‘s official and bizarrely-worded farewell notice, another big name has been tossed out as a potential new judge on American Idol: Mariah Carey.
“She’s in play,” a source tells People magazine. “They are in serious talks.”
A rep for Carey did not immediately respond to THR‘s request for comment. An Idol rep had no comment.
If Carey is indeed seriously considering the gig, her hiring would be a major celebrity get for the show; the 42-year-old is a Grammy-winning singer with a famously multi-octave vocal range, inarguably successful career and made-for-TV eccentric personality. (See: her vast Hello Kitty collection.)
VIDEO: Steven Tyler’s Six Most Memorable ‘American Idol’ Moments
Carey’s star power, and Paula Abdul-ish personality, could be a boon to the show’s sagging ratings (down 25 percent from 2011). She also has ties to the Fox competition’s longtime judge, Randy Jackson, with whom she’s worked over the course of her music career.
Meanwhile, Jennifer Lopez — and maybe even Jackson — could soon follow Tyler out the door. As Lopez teased on Thursday’s Today show, “I’ve just enjoyed it so much. But I am thinking that maybe it’s time for me to go and do other things that I really love to do.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day