- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Mariah Carey has unveiled the title, cover, release date and tracklist for her 14th album, Me. I Am Mariah … The Elusive Chanteuse, which arrives at digital and physical retail on May 27.
Carey, who appears on the cover of this week’s Billboard, told the magazine that the album took its title from a “personal possession of mine that’s part of an entity that I’ve had almost all my life.”
And as she explains in a YouTube clip announcing the project, it’s based on her “first and only self-portrait,” which is featured on the album’s back cover and drawn when she was a child. “Please don’t judge me for such a simplistic title. Come on, I was only three and a half,” Carey says with a chuckle in the clip (watch below).
As for the second half of the album’s title, The Elusive Chanteuse, Carey says that’s a nickname she’s adopted recently, following other personas and nicknames like “Mimi” and “MC.”
As Billboard confirmed this week, the album features production from Rodney Jerkins, Jermaine Dupri, Hit-Boy and Mike Will Made It as well as guest appearances from Nas, Wale and Miguel. Additional features, confirmed by the album’s official tracklisting, include Fabolous and Carey’s twins, Moroccan and Monroe (who turned 3 on April 30, the night of the album’s announcement). The deluxe edition also features a pair of duets, with R. Kelly and Mary J. Blige, on what appear to be outtakes from a planned 2010 remix album for her last album, Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel, as both songs (“Betcha Gon’ Know” with Kelly, “It’s A Wrap” with Blige) originally appeared on Memoirs.
The album will finally arrive after several shifts in strategy and missed release dates, most recently May 6. Her current single, “You’re Mine (Eternal),” spent one week on the Hot 100 in February and has sold 56,000 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan. It also becomes her 17th No. 1 on Billboard’s Dance Club chart.
Me. I Am Mariah … The Elusive Chanteuse tracklisting:
3. Dedicated (feat. Nas)
4. #Beautiful (feat. Miguel)
6. Make It Look Good
7. You’re Mine (Eternal)
8. You Don’t Know What To Do (feat. Wale)
9. Supernatural (With Special Guest Stars “Dembabies” a.k.a. Ms. Monroe & Mr. Moroccan Scott Cannon a.k.a. Roc ‘N Roe)
12. Money ($ * / …) (feat. Fabolous)
13. One More Try
14. Heavenly (No Ways Tired/Can’t Give Up Now)
15. It’s a Wrap (feat. Mary J. Blige) [Deluxe edition]
16. Betcha Gon’ Know (feat. R. Kelly) [Deluxe edition]
17. The Art of Letting Go [Deluxe edition]
18. Me. I Am Mariah … The Elusive Chanteuse
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day