- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Jay-Z isn’t the only musician making news for a commercial appearance this week: None other than the Queen of Hip-Hop Soul, Mary J. Blige, is the star of Burger King’s latest ad for chicken snack wraps.
“Crispy chicken, fresh lettuce, three cheeses, ranch dressing wrapped up in a tasty, flour tortilla,” Mary passionately sings in the 30-second spot. Fans may be surprised to see the R&B diva, who usually belts out tunes on everything from heartbreak to survival, sing her heart out for chicken.
But Blige is only one of many celebrities-including Salma Hayek, David Beckham and Jay Leno-featured in several new Burger King commercials. It’s all part of a big move by the fast food chain, which was recently surpassed by Wendy’s as the No. 2 hamburger chain in terms of sales. In addition to a series of star-studded ads, the company’s expanded menu premiered Monday.
As is the case with many Universal artists, many of the YouTube videos of the spot had been removed on copyright grounds by late Monday. And by Tuesday, at least one parody video had appeared on the site.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day