- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The commercial plays into the recurring theme of dreams coming true, with Carey talking directly to the camera about her humble beginnings and how she relates to the struggles of young hopefuls trying to make it in the music industry.
“I didn’t have a show like Idol,” said the superstar judge. “I waitressed and did all these other things I hear a lot of the contestants talk about doing.”
Carey empathizes with young singers in the ad, and discusses how she “always sang” and “wrote” and that people can’t give up on their ambitions or their dreams.
The few snippets shown of Carey as a judge portray her as extremely warm, with the Grammy-winning artist telling one singer “I know people are going to love you” and tearing up over another’s performance.
“I felt every single word you sang,” she tells another jubilant vocalist.
American Idol returns on Jan. 16, 2013.
Watch the clip below:
Follow Michele Amabile on Twitter!
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day