- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Nicki Minaj’s father, Robert Maraj, was killed in a hit-and-run, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
Maraj, 64, was hit by a car that kept going in Mineola, Long Island at 6:15 p.m. ET on Friday night, according to a spokesperson for the Nassau County Police Department. He was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead on Saturday.
While a rep for Minaj confirmed her father’s death, she has yet to comment on the incident.
Minaj was born Onika Tanya Maraj in Trinidad and raised in Queens.
Minaj has previously spoken about how her father was abusive towards her mother, once setting fire to their house while her mother was inside.
“I remember when my mother would let my father be violent with her and she always brings up this story about when I was a little girl and I would stand in front of my mother [with my arms out to protect her],” Minaj said in a clip from her Queen documentary that she posted on Instagram in 2018.
“That’s why maybe some people would describe me as abrasive or bitchy or whatever because I vowed from that age no man would ever abuse me, call me out my name, treat me like that,” she added. “Then all of a sudden, that was my life.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day