- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The BBC seems to have a lot of pulling power when it comes to making videos to promote its own services. A new promo for BBC Music features 27 famous musicians singing a rousing orchestra-backed rendition of The Beach Boys’ “God Only Knows.”
The video is a veritable game of spot the star, as artists such as Pharrell Williams, Elton John, Kylie Minogue, Sam Smith, One Direction, Chris Martin, Florence Welch, Paloma Faith and Brian Wilson himself take turns to sing the 1966 Beach Boys hit backed by a 80-piece orchestra.
While filmed to promoted the BBC’s music services, the star-studded ensemble single of “God Only Knows” will be released for download with all sale proceeds going to the charity Children in Need.
This isn’t the first time the BBC has drafted stellar music talent for corporate promotion. In 1997, stars such as David Bowie, Bono, Evan Dando, Tammy Wynette and many others sang Lou Reed‘s “Perfect Day”; the eventual release of the single topped the U.K. charts for three weeks, raising millions for charity.
Check out the new “God Only Knows” video below and see if you can spot all 27 artists.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day