- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
This article first appeared on Billboard.com.
Pharrell Williams brought his famed Vivienne Westwood hat to New York Fashion Week. Although the hat is always a crowd-pleaser, that wasn’t the coolest part of Pharrell’s involvement with NYFW.
On Saturday, the Oscar-nominated artist debuted RAW for the Oceans, his latest eco-conscious fashion project in collaboration with G-Star RAW.
RAW for the Oceans is an endeavor that retrieves littered plastic from the ocean and turns it into “bionic yarn,” which will be used as thread to make the denim for the line’s jeans. Williams will serve as a codesigner of the new eco-friendly denim line.
“Working with G-Star was an obvious choice, because they have a legacy of pushing the boundaries of fashion and denim forward,” Pharrell said at the press conference. “Bionic Yarn is a company built around performance, and denim is the perfect category to show the world what Bionic Yarn can do. Everyone has jeans in their closet.”
Siva Kaneswaran from The Wanted also hit up the event. “What a great cause,” Siva told Billboard at the event. “This is an amazing and creative way to save our oceans.”
Keep an eye out for the RAW for the Oceans collection in stores Aug. 15. Watch the animated introductory video below:
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
State of the Union