- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
On Friday morning, the Pixies unexpectedly returned with a new single, “Bagboy,” their first new material since 2004. The track is available for stream and download (the latter with an email address), and was unveiled alongside a chaotic music video, directed by Lamar + Nik.
(Watch the video here.)
Produced by Gil Norton, the song has more in common with older Pixies material, and ends with a refrain of “Cover your breath, alter your speech” being hammered home. “The lyrics, coincidentally, were composed at a Starbucks Coffee in Harvard Square in Cambridge, Mass., about a hundred feet from where, 25 years ago, I composed some of the lyrics to an old Pixies song called ‘Break My Body,'” frontman Black Francis says of the new track in a statement.
After breaking up in 1993, Pixies reunited in 2004 and have toured irregularly since, although they still have not released a new album since 1991’s “Trompe le Monde.” Before “Bagboy,” the last scrap of new material the group released was the single “Bam Thwok” in 2004.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Stranger Things 4
This Is Me ... Now