- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Chinese singer Uta, winner of China’s top-rated singing competition RockTheWeb!, is working with several L.A.-based producers, including hitmakers The Matrix, on her debut album.
RockTheWeb!, a first-of-its-kind TV/online series in China, was filmed in Las Vegas and Beijing over the summer. More than 10 million viewers cast their votes to deem Uta, a classically trained songstress from Guangzhou, the winner of the six-month-long competition.
As part of her prize, Uta inked a recording deal with RockTheWeb! and was invited to Los Angeles to work with vocal coach Seth Riggs, who has worked with Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder and Madonna. Riggs is mentoring Uta as she prepares for her first English-language recordings.
While in L.A., she is also working with producers Scott Spock, Graham Edwards and Lauren Christy of The Matrix, who have produced hits for Avril Lavigne, Shakira, Jason Mraz, Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears and Ricky Martin.
For Uta, The Matrix is producing a song titled “Original Painting” that is targeted for release later this year in both English and Mandarin.
RockTheWeb! China is currently developing season two and plans to expand in future years to Japan, Korea, Brazil, India, Europe and the United States.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day