- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Simon Cowell is a first-time father.
The X Factor host welcomed a son with girlfriend Lauren Silverman Friday at 5:45 p.m. in New York, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. The baby weighed in at 6 lbs., 7 oz. The baby’s name is Eric, after Cowell’s father.
Cowell shared the news with his Twitter followers Friday evening.
Very happy to say Eric was born at 17.45pm. Healthy and handsome.
— Simon Cowell (@SimonCowell) February 15, 2014
The famously cantankerous Cowell opened up about fatherhood in September, saying he was excited.
“I am good with kids, because I like kids,” Cowell said in an interview with BBC One’s Breakfast morning show. “I really do like them, and I listen to them.”
When asked how he reacted to the news that he’d be a dad, Cowell said: “Once I got used to it, I did get excited. … I think I will be a good dad, so I’m excited now.”
But don’t expect him to be changing diapers anytime soon.
“I’m not doing that. I wouldn’t do that — 100 percent absolutely not going near that,” he said.
The birth comes one week after Fox canceled the American version of Cowell’s The X Factor. The show, which aired for three seasons, underperformed in the ratings during its second and third years and faced stiff competition from NBC’s The Voice.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day