- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
American Idol season-three competitors Fantasia Barrino and Leah Labelle took the stage at the 2012 Soul Train Awards to pay tribute to iconic R&B singers Aretha Franklin and Teena Marie Sunday night.
Decked in a simple black dress, Barrino delivered a powerful performance of Franklin’s “Don’t Play That Song For Me.” Labelle paid tribute to Marie with a funky take of the late singer’s “Square Biz.” Additional performances included X Factor finalist Marcus Canty, who entertained with Luther Vandross’ “Never Too Much.”
Labelle, who is currently in the studio working on a record with Pharrell and Jermaine Dupri, was the recipient of the “Soul Train Centric Award.”
Additionally, season-six winner Jordin Sparks collected an award for Best Gospel/Inspirational song with “Celebrate,” a duet from the Sparkle soundtrack with the late Whitney Houston.
An encore presentation of the awards will air on BET on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.
Watch the peformances below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day