- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
The Sunset Strip Music Festival is moving from August to September, expanding to two days and bringing on Nederlander Concerts to book and promote the seventh annual event.
The street festival is scheduled to take place Saturday, Sept. 20 and Sunday, Sept. 21 on the fabled Sunset Strip in West Hollywood. One of the city’s largest events, it has consistently attracted as many as 15,000 fans.
SSMF will feature multiple outdoor stages, vendors and interactive experiences throughout the day and into the night. In addition, dozens of musical artists of different genres will perform in such venues as The Roxy Theatre, Viper Room, Whisky a Go Go and the House of Blues.
The fest actually kicks off with a tribute to a Strip icon (to be announced) on Friday, Sept. 19. SSMF honored rock goddess Joan Jett last year with the Elmer Valentine Award for her contributions to the scene.
Organizers say the move from early August to mid-September will benefit nearby hotels, which have higher vacancy rates during that time of year.
Nederlander will receive 25 percent of revenue from the event, with the other 75 percent going to the Sunset Strip Business Association, a spokesperson for the promoter confirmed. The deal is for one year, with an option to renew.
“We are thrilled to partner with SSMF Llc. and bring Nederlander’s music legacy to the iconic Sunset Strip,” said Nederlander Concerts CEO Alex Hodges., whose company also operates the Greek Theatre and the Pantages in the L.A. area. “The Sunset Strip Music Festival brings members of the community together to celebrate music and experience the vibrant atmosphere of the Sunset Strip.”
SSMF will announce additional details, including ticket information and performers, in the coming weeks. This year, the event will work with CBS Radio’s six Los Angeles stations as exclusive radio sponsors.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day