- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
There’s a leading lady in The Wanted’s “Walk Like Rihanna” music video… but it’s not the Barbados-born beauty.
In fact, not even a lookalike nabbed the role for the video.
No matter — the real story is in the group’s goofy imitations, reenacting classic scenes from a trio of ‘90s boy band videos. The so-called “Rihanna” in question doesn’t even serve much of a function in the clip, aside from being the ogled object of the boys’ affections.
On the set of their latest video (how meta), The Wanted channel iconic moments from *NSYNC’s “No Strings Attached,” the Backstreet Boys’ “I Want It That Way” and Take That’s “Back For Good.” Are these vignettes meant to be tributes to boy band greatness — or a snarky joke? Watch the video and decide for yourselves.
Worth noting: Big Time Rush — that other boy band, not One Direction – beat The Wanted to the boy band imitation video just months earlier. During the Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards in March, BTR debuted their video for “Like Nobody’s Around,” in which the quartet channels a slew of boy bands through the last several decades. Watch it here.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day