- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Wrote his family in a message posted on Facebook and Twitter: “We are deeply saddened to announce that Mikey Welsh passed away unexpectedly today. He will forever be remembered as an amazing father, artist, and friend. May he rest in peace.”
Weezer’s official Twitter posted: “We are shocked and deeply saddened to hear the awful news, our friend and fellow weez rocker @mikeywelsh71 has passed away. We love u Mikey.”
Here are a few things to know about the rocker:
1. He was found unconscious in a Chicago hotel room. The Cook County Medical Examiner says there is no evidence of foul play, according to the Associated Press. His cause of death is still being investigated.
2. Welsh was eerily prescient that he might die. On Sept. 26, he Tweeted, “dreamt i died in chicago next weekend (heart attack in my sleep). need to write my will today.” He then followed it up with, “Correction – the weekend after next.” He arrived in Chicago on Oct. 4. The band was due to headline the city’s Riot Fest on Sunday.
3. Welsh had a mental breakdown and attempted suicide in 2001. “Basically, a lifetime of doing drugs and being undiagnosed as having post-traumatic stress disorder and borderline personality disorder finally caught up with me when I was 30 years old. At the beginning of a 3-month European tour with Weezer, I started slowly falling apart,” he explained in a 2007 interview.
4. Welsh relieved stress by working as an artist, painting large-scale figures and abstracts from his home in Burlington, VT.
5. Welsh, who is also a touring bassist for Juliana Hatfield, joined the band in 1998 after Matt Sharp exited. He played on 2001’s The Green Album, and is featured on hits “Island in the Sun” and “Hash Pipe.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day