- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The pop singer filed divorce papers in Orange County Superior Court this week, a month after filing for legal separation from Brown, Houston’s publicist Nancy Seltzer said Tuesday.
Divorce papers could not be immediately obtained Tuesday by The Associated Press and Brown’s attorney Phaedra Parks declined comment.
Houston, 43, had asked in her separation papers that she be granted custody of the couple’s 13-year-old daughter Bobbi Kristina, and that Brown, 37, be allowed visitation rights.
The couple wed in 1992, with Houston at the height of her fame as a Grammy-winning superstar known for such hits as “I Will Always Love You.”
Brown won acclaim for his gritty R&B songs as a one-time member of the boy band New Edition.
The pair’s marriage, however, was not easy. Brown has been arrested for drugs and alcohol and Houston entered drug rehabilitation programs in 2004 and 2005.
In an attempt to clean up her public image, Houston stepped out last month for an event in Beverly Hills with cousin Dionne Warwick and mogul Clive Davis, whom she is working with on a new album.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day