- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
When former PayPal employees Chad Hurley, Steve Chen and Jawed Karim first came up with the idea to create a video-sharing site in 2005, they had no clue just what would unfold years later.
On Feb. 14 that year, YouTube was launched, and on April 23, an 18 second clip uploaded by Karim titled “Me at the zoo” became the site’s very first shared video.
Ten years down the road, YouTube has become a global phenomenon with over 1 billion users and 300 hours of video uploaded onto the site every minute.
From Justin Bieber‘s “Baby” music video to the viral “Charlie bit my finger” clip, watch YouTube’s ten most viewed videos to date below.
1. “Gangnam Style” by Psy
Korean rapper Psy’s music video for his viral hit “Gangnam Style” holds the title of YouTube’s most viewed video ever at over 2.2 billion views since its release on July 15, 2012.
2. “Baby” by Justin Bieber (feat. Ludacris)
Bieber’s debut music video was released in 2010 and has since raked in over 1.1 billion views.
3. “Party Rock Anthem” by LMFAO (feat. Lauren Bennett and GoonRock)
LMFAO’s eclectic video for their electro dance track “Party Rock Anthem” has reached more than 818.7 million views since its release on March 8, 2011.
4. “Dark Horse” by Katy Perry (feat. Juicy J)
The pop star’s Egyptian-inspired music video for her hit “Dark Horse” was released in early 2014 and now has over 819.6 million views.
5. “Charlie bit my finger — again!” by Harry and Charlie Davies-Carr
The Carr brothers became a viral sensation when their parents’ home video made its way to YouTube on May 22, 2007. The video has since garnered more than 811 million views.
Eminem’s hard-hitting music video for his collaborative track with Rihanna has amassed over 811 million views from 2010 to present day.
Lopez’s music video for her chart-topping single “On the Floor” was released in 2011 and has since garnered over 809 million views.
8. “Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)” by Shakira (feat. Freshlyground)
The music video for Shakira’s single “Waka Waka,” dubbed the official 2010 FIFA World Cup song, has raked in over 806.6 million views.
9. “Roar” by Katy Perry
Perry’s comedic video for her single “Roar,” which has earned more than 800.3 million views since its release in 2013, marks the singer’s second spot on YouTube’s top ten list of most viewed videos to date.
10. “Gentlemen” by Psy
Following 2012’s “Gangnam Style,” Psy dropped the music video for his follow-up single “Gentleman” on April 13, 2013. Though it has yet to reach the status of the Korean rapper’s previous hit, which holds the record as the most viewed YouTube video ever, the “Gentleman” music video has amassed over 796.5 million views since its release.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day