NBC calls illegal formation on Super Bowl ad
EmptyNBC said Tuesday that it will not allow a spot with multiple advertisers in the Super Bowl.
A day earlier, Los Angeles-based ad shop Cesario Migliozzi said it was discussing a plan with the network by which the agency, in a first, would pool eight advertisers to buy jointly at least one of the remaining spots during the Feb. 1 game.
"We've not given them permission, and there is no way we are going to," said Seth Winter, senior vp sports and Olympics sales at NBC.
Furthermore, an NBC rep said the ad was never in the cards, though CM partner Michael Migliozzi strongly denied that, saying he had been discussing the co-op proposal with NBC Sports sales rep Corbin Snellerman for two weeks.
"We were cheerleaded by the L.A. office with regards to what we were trying to do," Migliozzi said. Snellerman did not immediately return calls for comment.
Migliozzi said Snellerman told him Monday night that the proposal was "causing some grief with some of their current NBC clients."
The agency had planned to charge each of the eight advertisers $395,000 to participate. That would cover the $3 million media buy and leave $160,000 to fund producing creative.
Steve McClellan is a reporter for Adweek.