Newsweek's Top Editor Taking Leave of Absence (Exclusive)
Matt McAllester was criticized in a new employee discrimination lawsuit against Time Inc., though Newsweek says it's not connected.
Newsweek's top editor Matt McAllester is taking a leave of absence from the magazine, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.
"We can confirm that Matt McAllester has taken a planned leave of absence from Newsweek Media Group as his newly arrived family acclimates to life in the U.S.," the company said in a statement Wednesday afternoon. "In the interim, Bob Roe, Newsweek executive editor, will assume Matt’s duties as acting editor."
A Newsweek spokesman said his temporary departure is not connected to a recent lawsuit McAllester was prominently featured in.
In a July 24 lawsuit filed by a former colleague of his, Catherine Mayer, she alleged that, while they both worked at Time agazine, McAllester systematically undermined her and took her job as Europe editor.
The lawsuit was filed against Time magazine parent company Time Inc., which said in a statement that "the allegations are untrue and wholly without merit" and that the company plans to contest the suit.
In February, McAllester was elevated to oversee the U.S. edition of the magazine in addition to the international edition, following the departure of U.S. editor Jim Impoco. McAllester was previously based in London.