Oscars: 11 Things the TV Cameras Missed
There was a reunion of 'The Help,' Lin-Manuel Miranda had a photoshoot with Timothee Chalamet and more.
The cameras at the 90th Academy Awards may have caught host Jimmy Kimmel's right-hand man Guillermo Rodriguez cheering him on or Meryl Streep's reaction to Jodie Foster saying she "I, Tonya-ed" her, but there were a few things going on backstage, in the audience and even off-site that didn't quite make it to air.
1. Snacks and Notes From Jimmy Kimmel: Placed under each seat in the Dolby Theatre was a colorful box filled with chips, gummy bears, a snack bar, a Listerine pocket pack and a note from the host himself. "It wouldn’t be right to make you sit through this without snacks," Kimmel's note reads. "Please don’t throw them at me." In a tweet, the host added that the boxes — which were designed after the nine best picture nominees — each represented a donation to the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank.
We don’t like it when people are hungry – so we provided lunchboxes with snacks for everyone at the #Oscars and included a donation to the @LAFoodBank for each one. https://t.co/Epp3SmGQAi #WeFeedLA @ThisBar #ThisBarSavesLives @WolfgangPuck @TheAcademy pic.twitter.com/x5LG0KbTk4— Jimmy Kimmel Live (@JimmyKimmelLive) March 5, 2018
2. A Lady Bird Reunion: Co-stars of the best picture nominee Timothee Chalamet and Saoirse Ronan got together early in the show to exchange hugs.
Chalamet appeared to take advantage of the star-studded audience throughout the night, also meeting up with Meryl Streep and Mary J. Blige.
Timothee Chalamet is making most of his first #Oscars: during commercial break, he and his mom chatted up Meryl, then he was first to hug @maryjblige after her performance. #Oscars pic.twitter.com/w75UYaPrAx— Chris Gardner (@chrissgardner) March 5, 2018
3. Octavia Spencer got The Help Cast Back Together: Spencer posted an Instagram of her posing with Help co-stars Allison Janney and Viola Davis.
4. Tiffany Haddish Protected Her Wine: Before taking the stage to present best documentary short and best live-action short alongside Maya Rudolph — and then asking Meryl Streep to be her mom — Haddish made sure she'd be able to come back to her drink.
Once she did, Haddish cracked a joke at Bill Cosby's expense.
She just came back to get it. "You didn't let anybody Bill Cosby it, did you? Good, good, good!"— Amy Kaufman (@AmyKinLA) March 5, 2018
5. Judd Apatow, Kumail Nanjiani, Emily V. Gordon and Leslie Mann Showed Support for Florida High School: The two couples flashed their ribbons in a post on Apatow's Instagram, which he said were for Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Last month, 17 people were killed in a mass shooting at the school. Celebrities have since voiced their support for the Parkland, Florida, survivors, who have been advocating for gun control.
6. Lin-Manuel Miranda Poses With Timothee Chalamet: Miranda tweeted a series of photos with Chalamet, accompanied by a caption highlighting the Call Me by Your Name star's newfound popularity.
“Timotheeeeeeeeeeeee”- pic.twitter.com/eScm85W9Rw— Lin-Manuel Miranda (@Lin_Manuel) March 5, 2018
7. Best Director Winner Guillermo del Toro Receives a Standing Ovation: The Shape of Water director returned to his seat during a commercial break, but the cameras being off didn't stop the crowd from applauding him for his win.
During commercial break, Guillermo Del Toro came right back to his seat after winning best director #Oscars. He was greeted by standing ovation, fellow nominee Greta Gerwig. So cool #oscars pic.twitter.com/KQFfKxUsT7— Chris Gardner (@chrissgardner) March 5, 2018
8. Keegan-Michael Key Celebrates Jordan Peele's Win: A slew of celebrities took to Twitter to congratulate Peele on his win for best original screenplay, but nobody seemed to be happier for the Get Out filmmaker than his friend and former Key and Peele partner.
Great moment here when Jordan Peele wins for Get Out ! pic.twitter.com/cRTkdTNczZ— Ben Winston (@benwinston) March 5, 2018
9. Chloe Kim Responds to Frances McDormand's Shoutout: During her acceptance speech for best actress, Frances McDormand compared how she was feeling onstage to how Kim must've felt after winning at the 2018 Winter Olympics. “I think this is what Chloe Kim must have felt like after doing back-to-back 1080s in the Olympic halfpipe,” McDormand said. “Did you see that? OK, that’s what it feels like.” Kim immediately tweeted about the reference.
I am SHOOK rn like what— Chloe Kim (@chloekimsnow) March 5, 2018
She followed up by extending a special invitation to McDormand.
Hey Frances let's go snowboarding sometime— Chloe Kim (@chloekimsnow) March 5, 2018
10. The Best Actress Nominees Shared a Group Hug: After McDormand concluded her acceptance speech — which she used to celebrate all of the women in the room and call for more inclusion riders — best actress nominee Ronan sought out Sally Hawkins, Streep and Margot Robbie, who were also nominated. The four shared a group hug during a commercial break.
11. The Stage Wasn't Cleared at the Show's End: The Shape of Water group was able to relish in the film's win for best picture even after the awards show concluded.
Here’s what happened after @shapeofwater won best picture: Guillermo & company stayed on stage, joined by Frances McDormand who almost tripped. Once she came down, she stopped for Meryl Streep for long chat. #Oscars pic.twitter.com/JWNUPRP62k— Chris Gardner (@chrissgardner) March 5, 2018
McDormand joined them, and apparently managed to avoid taking a tumble before speaking with Streep.