People’s Choice Awards 2017: 10 Most Memorable Moments
Ellen DeGeneres became a record-holder with her 20th win, Tyler Perry received a humanitarian gong for his charity work and Dwayne Johnson gave Kevin Hart the middle finger during his acceptance speech.
This list includes some of what the viewers saw on Wednesday night’s People’s Choice Awards at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles. However, there were a few moments both on-air and off-air worth mentioning.
1. Selfies were definitely a huge theme of the evening. Outside, stars like Kristen Bell and the cast of Fuller House made time to take pictures with fans lined up along the 50 feet of red carpet.
2. Right before the show started and the camera crew urged everyone to take their seats, Justin Timberlake, who barely made it on time (due to traffic on the 101), could not help but take a few pictures with Tom Hanks first.
3. After Blake Shelton performed his latest single, “Every Time I Hear That Song,” Gwen Stefani joined him shortly after, but not without interacting with some audience members before heading backstage.
4. Justin Timberlake introduced Ellen DeGeneres to the stage as she earned her 20th People’s Choice Award, making her the most decorated in its history. But the cameras missed Timberlake’s and DeGeneres playful bow and hug after the speech.
5. Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson playfully gave Central Intelligence co-star Kevin Hart the middle finger after Hart’s acceptance speech for favorite comedic movie actor. “All the co-stars I’ve had in my life that have helped me grow in this business, except Dwayne Johnson, that is. He hasn’t helped me. He hasn’t helped me at all. You’ve actually lessened my talent.” Hart said jokingly.
6. Kristen Bell apologized after the teleprompter stopped working while she was honoring Tyler Perry. She said: “I feel like a moment ago I made myself vulnerable and exposed myself by revealing I was using a teleprompter. I am an actress who has to memorize lines, but in my defense there was way too many words.”
7. Timberlake strikes again, the singer jokingly fired his nanny on live television. In his acceptance speech Timberlake dedicated his award to his family. “To my two favorite people in the world, my wife and my beautiful son, who may or may not be watching right now.” He added: “If you are, buddy, the nanny's fired. I love you and go to bed, and you're the reason I wrote this song.”
8. During Robert Downey Jr.’s acceptance speech for favorite male action star, the ladies of Fifth Harmony were rehearsing onstage in the background, ready to make first performance without former member Camila Cabello.
9. Tyler Perry nearly had the entire audience in tears after his emotional speech. “As I look at the state of the world and the state of country … no matter how dark it gets, we all have to be light for each other," the 47-year-old filmmaker said. “We’re all going through it together, and it’s my hope that I have become a balance keeper, because when I see all this darkness, all I want to do is bring some balance, bring some light,” he added.
10. The evening concluded with a heartfelt speech by Johnny Depp after receiving the movie icon award. He addressed his gratitude toward fans who supported him through his recent divorce with Amber Heard. “I was very deeply affected by the kindness of your recognition and by your well wishes to my family and myself, which is why it's especially meaningful for me to be here in front of you to say thank you,” he said.