- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
In a Monday interview with BET, Mackie said he would “100 percent” want to run Trump’s campaign when given a choice between Trump’s or Hillary Clinton‘s campaign.
“I mean, first, that’ll be the best party ever when he won, and, second, Trump’s an easy sell,” said the Captain America: The Winter Soldier actor. “When you look at Trump, he’s an easy sell because you can sell him as the guy who worked his way up from nothing.”
Mackie, who will appear in the upcoming political film Our Brand Is Crisis alongside star Sandra Bullock, called the former Apprentice host the “bootstraps” candidate — and he seemed to mean it, which did not go over well with some.
Dear Anthony Mackie, you can’t be in Spike Lee movies and endorse Donald Trump.
— Everette Taylor (@Everette) October 19, 2015
Hours after the interview was published, Mackie tweeted that his comments were all a misperceived goof.
Sorry Donald, that wasn’t an endorsement. Just a bad attempt at a joke, I guess?
— Anthony Mackie (@AnthonyMackie) October 19, 2015
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day