- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Chris Matthews‘ wife and former D.C. news anchor Kathleen Matthews is considering running for Rep. Chris Van Hollen‘s congressional seat, according to Politico.
Van Hollen announced Wednesday that he plans to run for the Senate seat being vacated by Barbara Mikulski, who said she would not seek re-election in 2016.
Kathleen Matthews and her MSNBC-anchor husband live in Chevy Chase, Md., the D.C. suburb in Van Hollen’s congressional district.
Kathleen Matthews spent 25 years as a news anchor for Washington, D.C., ABC affiliate WJLA. She is currently executive vp and chief communications and public affairs officer for Marriott International, based in nearby Bethesda, Md.
Politico reports that Kathleen Matthews has begun talking to Democratic activists and interviewing potential consultants.
A top consultant told Politico of a Kathleen Matthews run: “Her successful career in local television plus her work for one of the region’s most respected employers definitely gives her a strong background to be a strong voice.”
Politico adds that the former journalist has long talked about running for office and has pushed for Marriott to adopt more progressive policies.
Representatives for Marriott and MSNBC have not yet responded to The Hollywood Reporter‘s requests for comments.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day