- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
After Brexit, John Oliver is worried about the U.S.
“The fallout in Britain has been swift and significant,” the Last Week Tonight host summarized on Sunday night of Britain’s decision to withdraw from the European Union.
Brexit should not be considered Britain’s “Independence Day,” as some British politicians have characterized it. “First of all, Britain was already independent. In fact, it’s what many other countries celebrate their independence from,” said Oliver. “And second, the sequel to the movie [Independence Day] actually opened this week, and features the wholesale destruction of London, which is beginning to feel pretty f—ing appropriate right now.”
He then turned viewers’ attention to the U.S. He said, “You might think, ‘Well that is not going to happen to us in America. We’re not going to listen to some ridiculously haired buffoon peddling lies and nativism in the hopes of riding a protest vote in power.’ Well let Britain tell you, it can happen. And when it does, there are no f—ing do-overs.”
Watch a portion of the segment video below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day