- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Miramax has acquire North American rights to Southside With You, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
The company is teaming with Roadside Attractions to release the film, which chronicles the first date of future President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Robinson. Based on true events, the film sees Obama, a then-Harvard Law summer associate, ask out an attorney from the prestigious corporate law firm where they both work. On the historic date, the two talk about politics and activism.
Tika Sumpter and Parker Sawyers star as Michelle and Barack, respectively.
Richard Tanne wrote and directed the film, which marks his feature film debut. Robert Teitel, Sumpter and Tanne produced Southside With You.
Miramax and Roadside previously teamed on Mr. Holmes, which stars McKellen and earned a robust $18 million for the art house movie.
Southside With You first premiered at the Sundance Film Festival on Jan. 24, but the deal went down in Berlin at the European Film Market, where IM Global is selling international rights. IM Global, which financed and produced the film, negotiated the domestic deal with WME.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day