- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
President Donald Trump will be rallying in Pennsylvania while media descends upon the White House for the annual White House Correspondents’ Dinner on April 29.
Trump teased on Twitter on Saturday morning that he will be holding a “BIG rally” that same night after choosing to sit this year’s event out.
Next Saturday night I will be holding a BIG rally in Pennsylvania. Look forward to it!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 22, 2017
Trump will be the first president to break tradition and skip the dinner since Ronald Reagan, who missed the event in 1981 while recovering from an assassination attempt and called in instead.
“I am not a hypocrite. And I haven’t been treated properly, and that’s OK, that’s fine,” Trump previously said of his historic decision. White House staff announced last month they will also be skipping the dinner, “out of solidarity.”
But the president isn’t the only one who will be offering counterprogramming on April 29. TBS’ Samantha Bee, whose Full Frontal has been skewering Trump since the 2016 election, will also be holding her own event, “Not the White House Correspondents’ Dinner,” at the Willard Hotel in Washington. The event will raise funds to support the Committee to Protect Journalists.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Roe V. Wade