- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Trump is a fervent supporter of Democratic Senate candidate Phil Bredesen’s Republican opponent, Congresswoman Marsha Blackburn, and held a Make America Great Again political rally for her campaign last week.
“Marsha Blackburn is doing a very good job now in Tennessee,” the president on Monday told reporters at the White House. “She’s leading now substantially, which she should. She’s a tremendous woman. I’m sure Taylor Swift doesn’t know anything about her. Let’s say I like Taylor’s music about 25 percent less now, OK?”
Swift also endorsed Democrat Jim Cooper in her Sunday night post on Instagram.
“In the past I’ve been reluctant to publicly voice my political opinions, but due to several events in my life and in the world in the past two years, I feel very differently about that now,” she wrote, in part, on Sunday. “As much as I have in the past and would like to continue voting for women in office, I cannot support Marsha Blackburn.”
Swift’s endorsement was panned by some prominent Republicans and GOP groups, including the National Republican Senate Committee and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.
Trump has publicly praised Swift on Twitter in the past, calling her “fantastic” and “terrific” back in 2012.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
State of the Union