Queen Latifah Opens Up on Talk Show Cancellation
The multihyphenate steps out in Beverly Hills at Generosity.org's Night of Generosity Gala to promote clean water
Queen Latifah is in shock. But it's probably not for the reasons you may think.
Two weeks after news broke that her syndicated daytime show, The Queen Latifah Show, from Sony Pictures Television had been canceled, the 44-year-old entertainer told The Hollywood Reporter that there's something she finds more surprising than the end of her show's run after two seasons.
"As I look back on it, I’m in shock at how many people have come on the show, supported the show and all the great things. I’ve been able to spend other people’s money to change people’s lives, which is the best thing to be able to do," Latifah told THR. "I feel really honored. And I appreciate everyone who tuned in to watch it and support it."
It's not over yet. Latifah added that while they'll wrap production by year's end, new shows will air through March. THR caught up with Latifah on Dec. 5 at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel where she was teamed with E! star Jason Kennedy to host Generosity.org's Night of Generosity Gala — the sixth annual event to raise funds and awareness to end the clean water crisis in developing countries. More than $550,000 was raised with pledges to create 85 new wells. Also in attendance were Megan Fox, Brian Austin Green, Ryan Rottman, Ashley Benson and Mike Posner.
While doing good, Latifah said she was "feeling good." As for what the future holds? "I'm going to take a little time and focus on Dana," Latifah said, referring to her real name, Dana Elaine Owens. "Focus on D-love for a minute and then I'll come back out swinging. That's how I do.... You know me; I've been here for a while and I'm going to keep going."
Read more Why is daytime TV so tough?
She's got one post-Latifah Show project in the can: In 2015, she'll star as legendary blues singer Bessie Smith in HBO's Bessie.