Rebekah Brooks Posts Bail, Is Released From Jail

Peter Macdiarmid/Getty Images

Plus, Metropolitan police assistant commissioner John Yates becomes the latest high profile Scotland Yard officer to quit over the phone-hacking scandal swirling around News Corp's U.K. newspaper unit News International.

LONDON — Sunday night U.K. time, Rebekah Brooks, the former News International chief executive who resigned from her post Friday, was released from police custody, a full 12 hours after her arrest by detectives investigating allegations of phone hacking and corrupting of police officers by the News of the World.

The timings of the much-anticipated appearance of the Murdochs and Brooks before the select committee were released by Parliament just as Brooks’ lawyer issued a statement on her behalf about her arrest and the prospects of her potential grilling in Parliament Tuesday.

Her lawyer’s terse statement began with the succinct claim that she is not guilty of any criminal offense and described her arrest and nine hours of questioning she was subjected to as something the police will “in due course have to give an account of."

He said: “Despite arresting her yesterday, and conducting an interview process lasting nine hours, they put no allegations to her and showed her no documents connecting her with any crime. They will in due course have to give an account of their actions, and in particular their decision to arrest her with the enormous reputational damage that this has involved.”

He also said Brooks "remains willing to attend the select committee" but said it was up to Parliament to decide on whether or not the hearing should take place at a later date.

The second highest ranking police officer in Britain, Metropolitan police assistant commissioner John Yates, has become the latest high profile Scotland Yard office to quit over the phone-hacking scandal swirling around News Corp's U.K. newspaper unit News International.

Yates follows his boss, Met police commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson, who hung up his hat last night.

Scotland Yard issued a statement that said Yates indicated his intention to resign to the Metropolitan Police Authority.

His decision to quit came as the Metropolitan Police Authority's professional standards cases subcommittee held a meeting to consider a slew of complaints against him.

The mayor of London, Boris Johnson, said the resignations of Yates and Stephenson were "regrettable but right". He said: "Whatever mistakes have been made at any level in the police service, now is the time to clear them up."

Cressida Dick will replace Yates in the interim, Johnson said.

Yates and Stephenson's resignations are the highest profile exits outside of News Corp. to materialize as the phone-hacking maelstrom continues to sweep across the political, social and media landscape here.

It leaves the police force in London reeling and senior Government officials squirming as they try and deal with the fallout stemming from ongoing phone-hacking investigations.

Stephenson has faced criticism in the press and beyond for hiring former News of the World executive Neil Wallis—who was questioned by police investigating hacking—as an adviser.

In his resignation statement, the Commissioner said his links to the journalist could hamper investigations.

He also said he had no knowledge of the extent of the phone hacking.