Rep Sheet Roundup: UTA Signs R&B Star Jeremih
THR's at-a-glance look at the week in representation news.
Who got signed, promoted, hired or fired? The Hollywood Reporter’s Rep Sheet rounds up the week in representation news.To submit announcements for consideration, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For your birthday-suit soundtrack needs
R&B artist Jeremih has signed with UTA in all areas worldwide. Shortly after signing with Def Jam in 2009, his debut single “Birthday Sex” hit big, peaking at No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100, with his self-titled debut album reaching No. 6 on the Billboard 200 later that year. Other highlights include 2014 single “Don’t Tell Em,” which won the iHeartRadio award for hip-hop/R&B song of the year, and 2016’s “Planes,” which received a Grammy for best R&B performance. In 2016, ASCAP named Jeremih songwriter of the year. In February, he released “I Think of You” featuring Chris Brown and Big Sean, the lead single from his upcoming fourth studio album, Later That Night. Jeremih continues to be managed by Gwenda Starling of MIH Music Group.
ICM Partners has signed singer-songwriter Cody Simpson. The Australian artist, now 20 and residing in West Hollywood, has appeared on Billboard’s 21 Under 21 list for four straight years, and his 2013 album Surfers Paradise debuted at No. 10 on the Billboard 200. In 2014 he collaborated with Justin Bieber under the moniker JB X CS for the single “Home to Mama,” which has been streamed more than 100 million times. Simpson has been named the United Nations Development Program’s first ocean ambassador, and he currently is working on his fourth studio album. He continues to be represented by Maverick and Hertz Lichtenstein.
Publicity announcements…is that redundant?
Publicity firm 42West has signed:
· Keala Settle, one of the original stars of Broadway’s Waitress and a previous Tony nominee for 2013’s Hands on a Hardbody.
· Rapper Meek Mill, who was the subject of BET’s July 11 inaugural episode of docuseries On Tour With.
· Actress Margarita Levieva, who will be a series regular alongside James Franco and Maggie Gyllenhaal in David Simon’s upcoming HBO period porn industry drama The Deuce.
· R&B singer-songwriter Stella Santana, daughter of Carlos Santana.
· Actor Kit Williamson, best known as copywriter Ed on Mad Men.
· Argentine-American model Cami Morrone.
· Pop singer Harry Hudson, best known from Kendall and Kylie Jenner’s Snapchat accounts.
Portrait PR has signed:
· Lost alum Malcolm David Kelley (Walt!), now all grown up and next set to appear in Kathryn Bigelow’s upcoming drama Detroit.
· Gerrard Lobo, who plays hot nurse Adarsh on the new season of Netflix’s Orange Is the New Black.
· Narcos and When We Rise alum Juan Riedinger, who will recur on the upcoming sophomore season of TNT’s Good Behavior.
· Kyla Drew of Nickelodeon’s Ricky, Nicky, Dicky and Dawn.
Katz Public Relations has signed:
· Adam McArthur, who voice stars as Marco Diaz opposite The Middle’s Eden Sher on Disney XD’s Star vs. the Forces of Evil, whose third season premiered July 15.
· Parker Coppins, co-producer and host of Disney XD’s new show Parker Plays, which premiered July 15. Coppins also has signed with attorney Ryan Goodell at Morris Yorn.
ZTPR has signed:
· Actor Gabriel Sloyer, who is set to recur on the upcoming third season of Netflix’s Narcos.
Moving out of the house
CAA TV business affairs executive Laura Sher has joined media law firm Cowan, DeBaets, Abrahams & Sheppard as a partner.
“With Laura’s addition, we are strategically expanding our entertainment practice to include significant additional expertise and relationships with key industry companies and players,” CDAS’ entertainment practice co-head Susan Bodine said in a statement. “Laura has sourced and negotiated numerous top-level company-to-company strategic deals and brings an incredible depth of knowledge of the issues and practices of today’s entertainment environment.”
Before CAA, Sher served as senior vp business and legal affairs and business development at AMC Networks. She began her career in O’Melveny & Myers’ intellectual property group.
“I’m delighted to be part of CDAS,” Sher said in a statement. “Their ability to match a very high level of skill and experience with business-conscious client relations makes it a great platform for my re-entry into private practice.”
Truth in advertising
Oscar-nominated Food, Inc. documentarian Robert Kenner has signed with Saville Productions for commercial representation. In addition to an Emmy win and Indie Spirit and DGA nominations for his acclaimed 2008 agribusiness documentary, Kenner’s other accolades include an Emmy for his American Experience episode “Two Days in October” and a WGA award for best documentary screenplay this year for Command and Control.
“I like to bring out the honesty in people — getting to the core of what is real,” Kenner said in a statement. “There is a certain authenticity that is lacking in the world of advertising lately.”
Said Saville executive producer Rupert Maconick in a statement, “Documentary filmmaking excellence easily translates into award-winning campaigns. Robert Kenner is considered one of the best in the documentary genre and we are very pleased to have him join the roster at Saville.”
Manager Lucia Chiao has left The Green Room for Rothman Andres Entertainment, bringing with her clients including Dana Gaier (Despicable Me), Yohance Myles (Shots Fired), Hope Lauren (Supergirl), Libby Villari (Boyhood), Davie-Blue (HBO’s Room 104) and musician Kayla Brianna.
A Cavalier signing
Fermata Partners, the collegiate-, sports- and lifestyle-focused licensing agency acquired by CAA Sports in 2015, has signed a 10-year partnership with the University of Virginia. UVA’s licensing program currently has pacts with more than 350 licensees, with dozens of major retailers carrying its branded products across the region.
“For two centuries, the University of Virginia has served as the flagship institution of higher education in Virginia — and one of the premier public universities in the U.S., Fermata managing director Derek Eiler said in a statement. “It is an honor for our team to be selected to work alongside the University to help advance its mission through its consumer products licensing efforts.”
Elsewhere in Rep World: