Royal Baby: TV Networks Show Kate Middleton, Prince William and Newborn Leaving Hospital

Kate Middleton, Prince William and their newborn baby

The royal couple didn't speak to the U.K. and international TV crews set up outside of St. Mary's Hospital in London, unlike when Prince George was born.

The media frenzy surrounding Kate Middleton and Prince William's second baby reached its peak late Saturday afternoon in London.

U.K. and international TV networks showed the royal couple and their newborn daughter as they left St. Mary's Hospital in London, including live streams from NBC LA, KTLA and ABC.

The royal couple, with Middleton holding the princess, briefly stepped out of the hospital around 6:10 p.m. local time (10:10 a.m. PT), waved and let media take pictures and video of the newborn. They then disappeared into the hospital again, with TV reports saying they likely wanted to say their goodbyes. They then came back out a few minutes later without speaking to the media pack and got into their car, with Prince William driving his family home.

Excitement had built about 1 p.m. London time (5 a.m. PT) amid rumors that Middleton's hairdresser had been spotted entering the hospital.

TV crews descended on the hospital and took up their reserved positions in the early London morning hours after the royal palace announced that Middleton had gone into labor at around 6 a.m. local time.

The baby girl's birth was announced only a few hours later. BBC News and Sky News soon reported that the couple and their baby could emerge as early as this afternoon.

Live reports showed large numbers of TV crews waiting outside the hospital. Several reporters described the atmosphere as calmer than when Prince George was born in July 2013. During George's birth, camera crews camped out at the hospital well ahead of the birth.

This time, the royal palace had told media they could only take to their spots outside the hospital once an announcement was made that Middleton had gone into labor.

The excitement built when Prince William brought Prince George to the hospital at 4:15 p.m. local time (8:15 a.m. PT). The young royal was brought home before the rest of the family left the hospital.