Rupert Murdoch Dismisses Fox News Sexual Harassment Claims
The 21st Century Fox executive chairman spoke to the U.K.'s Sky News on Thursday, hours after the Walt Disney Company announced a deal to buy numerous 21st Century Fox assets.
Hours after it was announced Thursday that 21st Century Fox was selling numerous assets to Disney in a deal valued at more than $52 billion, Rupert Murdoch sat down for an interview with Sky News to talk about the deal and other topics, including the multiple sexual misconduct claims that have been made against Fox News figures over the past few years, including former CEO Roger Ailes and former host Bill O'Reilly.
But when asked by Sky News host Ian King, "How harmful has the whole raft of sexual harassment allegations been for the business?," Murdoch said, "That's all nonsense."
He also suggested that Ailes was the only person to face allegations.
"We had a problem with our chief executive, sort of, over the years, but isolated incidents," Murdoch said. "As soon as we investigated, he was out of the place in hours, well, three or four days. And there's been nothing else since then."
In fact, the time period from when former Fox News host Gretchen Carlson sued Ailes for sexual harassment to his resignation — during which time at least seven more women, including then-high-profile host Megyn Kelly, accused Ailes of harassing them — spanned more than two weeks, with Carlson filing her lawsuit on July 6 and Ailes resigning on July 21.
Since then, more 21st Century Fox employees, including former star O'Reilly, have been accused of sexual misconduct. O'Reilly was fired in April after The New York Times revealed that five women who alleged that the host sexually harassed them or engaged in other forms of inappropriate behavior received approximately $13 million in payouts from O'Reilly, Fox News or 21st Century Fox in exchange for agreeing not to pursue litigation or speak about the accusations against him.
Murdoch also suggested that the claims made against Fox News figures reflected a larger ideological conflict.
"That was largely political, since we're conservative," he said. "Of course, [now] all the liberals are going down the drain. NBC's in deep trouble. CBS, their stars."
As for the 60 men, including disgraced film mogul Harvey Weinstein, who've been accused of sexual misconduct in recent months, Murdoch said, "There are really bad cases, where people should be moved aside, and there are other things, which probably amount to a bit of flirting."
Fox News, it was announced Thursday morning, will not be among the 21st Century Fox assets sold to Disney.
Watch Murdoch's full interview here.
On Saturday, a 21st Century Fox spokesperson released the following statement about his interview: "Rupert never characterized the sexual harassment matters at FOX News as ‘nonsense.’ Rather, he responded negatively to the suggestion that sexual harassment issues were an obstacle to the Company’s bid for the rest of Sky. Under Rupert’s leadership and with his total support, the Company exited Roger Ailes, compensated numerous women who were mistreated; trained virtually all of its employees; exited its biggest star; and hired a new head of HR. By his actions, Rupert has made it abundantly clear that he understands that there were real problems at Fox News. Rupert values all of the hard-working colleagues at Fox News, and will continue to address these matters to ensure Fox News maintains its commitment to having a work environment based on the values of trust and respect.”
Dec. 16, 8:43 a.m. PT This has been updated to add 21st Century Fox's statement about Rupert Murdoch's interview.