SAG-AFTRA N.Y. and L.A. Buildings Evacuated After Phone Threat

SAG-AFTRA Generic - Getty - H 2020
Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images

The call was received at the labor union's West Coast headquarters around 11:46 a.m. Tuesday, per the Los Angeles Police Department.

Following an evacuation Tuesday due to a phone threat, the SAG-AFTRA buildings in New York and Los Angeles have been deemed safe.

Police responded to a call in L.A. at 11:46 a.m. PT, a representative for the Los Angeles Police Department told The Hollywood Reporter. The incident was being investigated as a phone threat until, around 3:12 p.m., officers swept the scene and found no explosive devices.

A representative for the New York Police Department added that the Manhattan building, located at 1900 Broadway across from Lincoln Center, had been evacuated out of an "abundance of caution." The emergency services units conducted a sweep of the building and deemed that there was no danger to occupants, the representative said Tuesday around 3 p.m.

“Earlier today, SAG-AFTRA received a telephone threat of an attack targeting our Los Angeles and New York offices. We immediately notified law enforcement and they are on the scene investigating," a spokesperson for the union said in a statement to THR. "At the recommendation of law enforcement we evacuated our employees and at 12:50 p.m. PT made the decision to close our Los Angeles and New York offices for the day so the police can do a thorough sweep. The safety of our members and staff is paramount and we are taking every precaution to effectively manage the situation as advised by the professional law enforcement representatives on site. We have no other information to share at this time."

Around 1 p.m. in Los Angeles, three police cars were stationed in front of the SAG-AFTRA building, situated at 5757 Wilshire Blvd. near the La Brea Tar Pits, as employees and visitors milled about in front of the neighboring Starbucks, Mixt and Baja Fresh.

By 1:55 p.m., four police cars and eight bomb squad cars were on the scene. By 2:39 p.m., a sign was placed on the building's front door saying the facility was closed for the day and five bomb squad trucks had additionally appeared.

On Twitter, some employees tweeted that officials told them to grab their belongings and go home for the day.