Shanghai: Imax CEO, iQiyi Boss to Speak at Winston Baker's Film Finance Forum in China
The forum “Keynote Conversations with Game Changers and Dealmakers in the Industry,” will take place at the Shanghai Exhibition Center on June 20.
A who's who of the Asian film industry, including Yang Xianghua, senior vice president at Chinese streaming video giant iQiyi, and Manatt, Phelps & Phillips partner Lindsay Conner, who represented Beijing-based Perfect World Pictures on their $500 million slate investment at Universal, are joining organizers Winston Baker in China on June 20 for the fifth annual Film Finance Forum.
The keynote film industry conference will be held at the Shanghai Exhibition Center alongside the Shanghai International Film Festival, which runs June 17-26.
The theme of the 2017 forum is "Keynote Conversations with Game Changers and Dealmakers in the Industry." Other esteemed speakers this year include Mike Ellis, head of the Motion Picture Association in Asia, and Imax CEO Rich Gelfond.
The goal of this year's program, according to the organizers, is to address the shifting paradigms that are disrupting the entertainment sector within China, the U.S. and the world, with speakers exploring the tools and strategies required to survive and thrive in today's fast-changing industry. Areas addressed will comprise a broad sweep of the entertainment sector, spanning film, television, animation, emerging media platforms, international strategies and new business model.
"China is in the midst of defining its place in the global motion picture industry, and as conference producers it’s our job to make sure we keep bringing together executives and dealmakers to discuss the best ways to continue collaboration through the ebbs and flows of this business," said Katherine Winston and Amy Baker, co-founders of Winston Baker, in a joint statement.
This year's Shanghai International Film Festival (SIFF) runs June 17-26. Winston Baker’s sponsors and partners of the Film Finance Forum at SIFF include Akin Gump, FTI Consulting, Armanino, Covington, Manatt, Motion Picture Association, O’Melveny & Myers and The Hollywood Reporter.
The full 2017 speaker lineup is below.
- Tony Bancroft, award-winning film director and animator
- P. John Burke, partner and head of entertainment practice, Akin Gump
- Lindsay Conner, partner and chair, media and entertainment group, Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
- Mike Ellis, head of Asia, Motion Picture Association
- William Feng, general manager and head of China, Motion Picture Association
- Rich Gelfond, chief executive officer, Imax Corporation
- Jason Goldberg, partner and head of China Entertainment, Sports and Media Practice, Covington & Burling LLP
- Mark Hutchison, partner, Armanino
- Roy Salter, senior advisor, FTI Consulting
- Stephen Scharf, co-chair of the Entertainment, Sports & Media Transactions Practice, O'Melveny & Myers LLP
- Jordan Vogt-Roberts, film and television director and screenwriter
- Steve Xiang, chief executive officer, Huanxi Media Group Limited
- Yang Xianghua, senior vice president, iQiyi