Shawn Mendes, Ricky Martin Cancel Shows After Deadly Mexico Quake
A powerful 7.1-magnitude earthquake has left at least 226 people dead throughout Mexico.
Pop singers Shawn Mendes and Ricky Martin have canceled scheduled Mexico City concerts this week in the aftermath of a strong earthquake that has rescue workers scrambling to dig out survivors trapped under the rubble of collapsed buildings.
Mendes was slated to perform in Mexico City on Wednesday evening.
"My love is with all of you and I promise I will be back," said Mendes on Twitter.
Venues where Martin was to play this week are being used as donation centers as rescue efforts continue.
A Wednesday announcement for the Latin Grammys also was suspended.
The quake, which struck Tuesday, leveled more than 40 buildings in the Mexican capital. It hit on the 32nd anniversary of a devastating quake that claimed an estimated 10,000 lives in 1985. Earthquake drills on Tuesday had been carried out hours before the quake jolted the city, which caused apartment and office buildings to swing violently and panicked people to head for the streets.
Among the victims, more than 100 people died in the surrounding states of Mexico, Puebla and Morelos. At least 22 children perished under a collapsed Mexico City elementary school.
A stronger 8.1-magnitude earthquake rocked Mexico City a week earlier but the epicenter was much closer this time, just 80 miles southeast of the capital. Nearly 100 people died in that quake in southern Mexico, but no fatalities were reported in Mexico City.
Numerous Mexican celebrities have offered their support on social media. Mexican director Guillermo del Toro said anyone needing to post an urgent message could do so by adding his Twitter handle @RealGDT.
Others, such as actor Diego Luna (Rogue One), took to Twitter to post emergency numbers and to suggest how people might assist in the ongoing rescue effort.