Sony offers 'Sit Down' deal
Writers said to be in favor of agreementThe month-long stalemate at Fox's new animated series "Sit Down, Shut Up" could be headed for a resolution, with most of the show's writers said to favor an agreement with producing studio Sony Pictures TV.
Sony recently approached the scribes with a new version of the deal it offered them June 23. While the current proposal is said to include a more generous package than what's been previously presented, it is said to keep the main deal points from the previous offer intact, including maintaining the show's status as a signatory to IATSE, not the WGA.
On June 12, the 14 writers on "Sit Down" walked out in protest of IATSE's jurisdiction over the show and in pursuit of coverage by the WGA. The writers claimed that they were misled by Sony that they would be covered by the WGA. Meanwhile, Sony has maintained that its TV animation division, Adelaide Prods., which produces the series, is a longtime signatory to IATSE.
Not all "Sit Down" writers are said to be on board for the modified proposal. At least two of the scribes, including one of the exec producers have declined it, meaning that if a deal is reached, not all original writers will return to the animated show, an adaptation of a live-action Australian series.
The writers apparently had until Wednesday to respond to the new version of the offer. By Wednesday night, there still was no resolution, but there had been a lot of back and forth between reps for the writers and the negotiator for the studio, so the talks were expected to continue.
Whatever the outcome, a decision on the future of the show is expected shortly. Production on the series, slated for a midseason launch behind "The Simpsons," already has been delayed by a month because of the walkout, and Sony had said it would pull the plug on the show if a deal with the writers is not reached.
Such a deal now appears more likely.