Spector jury sees death weapon, guns, ammo


Phil Spector had two revolvers, a shotgun and a small arsenal of ammunition tucked away in his home, the lead detective in the murder case testified Tuesday as a prosecutor tried to show that another gun that killed actress Lana Clarkson also belonged to the record producer.

The snub-nosed Colt Cobra revolver that killed Clarkson was not registered and has never been positively linked to Spector. The defense is likely to suggest that the gun could have belonged to Clarkson.

Detective Mark Lillienfeld of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Homicide Bureau put on gloves before removing the gun from an envelope because there was still blood on it. Jurors had just seen photographs of the brown-handled revolver lying at Clarkson's feet as she slumped in a chair in the ornate foyer of Spector's castle-like mansion.

Lillienfeld said he spent 30 hours at the crime scene and assigned six to eight detectives to scour various portions of the 8,000-square-foot home with its 10 bedrooms and nine bathrooms.

"It's a huge house," said Lillienfeld.

He said detectives quickly found evidence in Spector's bedroom closet. A photo showed hats, coats and a fan in the closet, but at the back was a small closed cupboard which they opened to reveal two fully loaded blue steel handguns. Propped against the closet wall was an orange case containing a 12-gauge pump shotgun, he said. It was not loaded. He displayed the guns to jurors.

In another bedroom, converted into Spector's office, Lillienfeld said they found two holsters for handguns and dozens of rounds of ammunition of the same types that were found in the gun that killed Clarkson.

Jurors were shown the weapon that killed Clarkson as well as a leather holster found in a bureau next to her body.

Deputy District Attorney Pat Dixon showed numerous photos of bullets that were loaded in the death weapon and comparisons of them with the ammunition found upstairs. They were the same brands.

Lillienfeld also identified Spector's briefcase on a chair next to Clarkson's body. He said it contained some over-the-counter medications and a tinfoil with one Viagra pill and empty spaces for two more. There was also a DVD player with a movie in it, an old black-and-white called, "Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye."

Clarkson, 40, died about 5 a.m. on Feb. 3, 2003, from a single shot fired with the gun in her mouth. She had accompanied Spector on a chauffeured ride to his Alhambra mansion after meeting him at her job as a hostess at the House of Blues just hours earlier. The defense claims that Clarkson killed herself.

The prosecution previously called several women from Spector's past to testify that he had threatened them with guns when they picked up their purses and tried to leave his presence.

Dixon had Lillienfeld point out for the jury a leopard-print purse with long straps hung over Clarkson's right shoulder. Her right hand rested atop the purse, which sat on the floor.

The coroner who conducted Clarkson's autopsy and ruled her death a homicide testified previously that the presence of the purse on her shoulder was one of the non-medical observations that led him to rule out suicide. He said it was not typical of a suicide scenario.

Dixon made extensive use of the bloody pictures of Clarkson's body and each time they were shown he signaled her mother and sister, seated in the front row, to look away.

Spector, 67, rose to fame with the hit-making "Wall of Sound" recording technique in the 1960s. Clarkson was best known for her role in the 1985 movie "Barbarian Queen."

Lillienfeld also pointed out in pictures the locations of 12 phones in Spector's home. Prosecutors were showing that phones were readily accessible including two in the foyer. The jury has heard 911 cell calls from the chauffeur but has not been told whether calls were made from the house phones.

In cross-examination, defense attorney Bradley Brunon showed jurors photos of a crowd of detectives and coroners' investigators surrounding the actress' body, most of them bare-handed. Only one of two appeared to wear plastic evidence-handling gloves. Lillienfeld said he and others didn't wear gloves because they didn't touch anything.

Brunon was setting the stage for a defense effort to show evidence contamination and mishandling.
comments powered by Disqus