Suspect at Paramount's Hollywood Lot Taken Into Custody

Paramount Studios
David Livingston/Getty Images

The entrance to Paramount Studios in Los Angeles.

The suspect worked at Paramount Pictures, police say.

Scores of police cars swarmed outside Paramount Studios in Hollywood on Sunday night, with the police arresting a suspect on the lot after an officer-involved shooting. On Monday morning, it was learned the suspect in fact worked at Paramount Pictures, but it is unclear whether he is a contractor at the location or employed by Paramount Pictures, police said. A rep for the studio did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Police were called to an incident that occurred in or around the lot around 10 p.m. on Sunday.

CBSLA reported that the LAPD responded to a call that a person was on the lot, an incident then occurred which led to the police opening fire and the suspect running on foot into the lot and subsequently barricading themselves in the New York Street backlot area of the studio.

Around 2 a.m. L.A. time, the LAPD Twitter account reported: "At the Melrose gate to the lot there was an officer-involved shooting. The suspect ran onto the lot and barricaded himself inside of a building."

It continued: "Officers attempted to negotiate with the suspect to surrender. Around 12:15 am officers entered the bldg and took the suspect into custody. The suspect was bleeding from wounds he sustained during the incident and was transported to a local hospital. No officers were injured."

The police Twitter account also disclosed that the person taken into custody was "a sexual assault suspect."

The LAPD's Hollywood division had earlier tweeted that there was "police activity" on Melrose Avenue and North Gower Street where Paramount Studios is located and that people should avoid the area.

Eye witness accounts posted to social media on Sunday night showed there was a large police presence, including a helicopter and K9 dog units, in and around the studio property.

Ryan Parker contributed to this report. 

Oct. 19, 8:05 a.m.: Updated that the suspect works at Paramount.