Tobey Maguire Denies Owing $300K in Hollywood Poker Lawsuit
The “Spider-Man” actor should not have to pay investors, one of his lawyer says, and noted that Maguire also lost $168,500.
Spider-Man actor Tobey Maguire is denying that he owes money in a Hollywood poker lawsuit, the Associated Press reports.
In court filings released Thursday, one of Maguire's attorneys says that if the actor is required to pay any money, the $300,000-plus sum that the actor is being sued for should be reduced.
According to the lawyer, Maguire also lost $168,500 to convicted con man, a hedge fund manager Bradley Ruderman, during the allegedly illegal poker matches held at luxurious Los Angeles hotels.
A bankruptcy trustee sued Maguire and 21 other people earlier this year, saying that the group should be forced to return more than $4 million won from Ruderman, who was convicted of running the Ponzi scheme. Among other Hollywood personalities being sued: Nick Cassavetes, Alec Gores, who at one point tried to buy Miramax last year with his brother, and Welcome Back Kotter actor Gabe Kaplan.
According to the lawsuits, the poker games in question were unlicensed and the winnings came from Ruderman’s clients.