Tom Petty Died of Accidental Overdose, Family Says

Tom Petty_1991 - Photofest - H 2017
Courtesy of Photofest

"As a family we recognize this report may spark a further discussion on the opioid crisis," the singer-songwriter's family said in a statement.

Legendary singer-songwriter Tom Petty died from "an accidental drug overdose" due to taking several medications, his family has said in a statement.

"Our family sat together this morning with the Medical Examiner – Coroner’s office and we were informed of their final analysis that Tom Petty passed away due to an accidental drug overdose as a result of taking a variety of medications," the family wrote in a Facebook post Friday.

The Hollywood Reporter reviewed a copy of the Los Angeles coroner's report and confirmed that Petty's death was the result of the accidental mixing of several drugs.

The family writes in the post that Petty had been suffering from pain emphysema, knee problems and a badly fractured hip, which he had been recuperating from while still on tour. On the day he died, his hip had become a "full on break," the family says. "It is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over use of medication," they write.

When Petty died in October, it was reported that he had suffered a cardiac arrest shortly before death. According to the Los Angeles coroner, "Multisystem organ failure due to resuscitated cardiopulmonary arrest due to mixed drug toxicity" was the cause of death.

"As a family we recognize this report may spark a further discussion on the opioid crisis and we feel that it is a healthy and necessary discussion and we hope in some way this report can save lives," the family wrote in their statement.