Toronto: HBO Documentary Films Takes Rights to 'Dangerous Acts'
The pay-cable network will broadcast Madeleine Sackler's film about the Belarus Free Theatre group in 2014.
HBO Documentary Films has acquired the U.S. television rights to Madeleine Sackler’s documentary Dangerous Acts Starring The Unstable Elements of Belarus, which will have its world premiere at the Toronto Film Festival on Sept. 8.
The film, airing on HBO in 2014, focuses on the work of the Belarus Free Theatre group, founded in 2005 by Natalia Kaliada, Vladimir Shcherban and journalist Nikolai Khalezin, all of whom currently live in exile in London. Associated with the Young Vic Theatre in the U.K., BFT, which challenges social and political issues in Belarus, has performed at various venues around the world, including the Public Theater in the U.S., and has a wide range of international support from such individuals as Tom Stoppard and Jude Law, who are trustees of BFT. Using smuggled footage and uncensored interviews, Dangerous Acts offers a look at a modern-day revolution, going behind the scenes as the artists create and perform their work.
“After working on this film in secret for the last three years because of the censorship in Belarus, we are very excited to be sharing it with audiences on HBO,” director-producer Sackler said.
The film was executive produced by Andrea Meditch (Man on Wire) and edited by Anne Barliant and Leigh Johnson. Josh Braun of Submarine negotiated the deal on part of the filmmakers.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama