Toronto: Kazakhstan Director Akan Satayev to Helm Canadian Indie 'Hacker'
Brillstein Entertainment Partners is to executive produce the $5 million pic from Know Rules Media.
TORONTO – Kazakhstani director Akan Satayev has signed on to direct the $5 million theatrical feature Hacker, which will be executive produced by Brillstein Entertainment Partners.
Satayev, who directed the Kazakhstan best foreign language film entries Strayed and Myn Bala, will lens the Canadian indie drama based on real events about a young immigrant who gets involved with a cyber criminal organization called DarkWeb.
Hacker is produced by Sanzhar Sultanov's indie production shingle Know Rules Media, which is backed by Canadian venture capitalist Loudon Owen. Financing for the project will come from Timur Meirambekov, Zhanbolat Serikov and Kenges Rakishev, on behalf of Mobli.
Hacker is now in preproduction, with shooting set to start late fall 2013 in various locations including New York, Toronto, Dubai and Bangkok.
No word on casting.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Aerosmith's 'Dream On' Performed To Honor Boston Marathon Victims And Survivors (VIDEO)
- Bryan Singer Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Underage Boy
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"