TV crews focus on N.Y. plane crash

Jet landed in river after apparently hitting a goose

NEW YORK -- Call it the miracle on the Hudson.

Manhattan-based TV news crews got quite a workout at about 3:30 p.m. ET when a US Airways Airbus A320 lost both engines and ditched in the Hudson River off midtown Manhattan, with live coverage nationwide as the passengers were rescued from the icy river. All 155 people aboard apparently survived.

"We've had a miracle on 34th Street. I believe now we've had a miracle on the Hudson," said a relieved New York Gov. David Paterson at a Thursday evening news conference held by Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

The twin-engine jet, which floated for two hours after the emergency landing, had taken off moments before from New York's LaGuardia International Airport bound for Charlotte, N.C. The entire flight lasted less than six minutes. Word about a jet landing in the water began to leak into CBS News headquarters, three blocks from the crash site, soon after it happened. CBS News quickly confirmed it and CBS Radio went on the air at 3:44 p.m., three minutes before the Associated Press moved the story.

While the TV crews weren't immediately there to record the bulk of the passengers and crew leaving the airliner, every network broke into regular programming and showed the jet floating in the water, surrounded by ferries, police and fire boats, and Coast Guard cutters. WABC-TV showed amateur video of the jet, floating in the middle of the river, with a New York Waterway ferry first arriving on the scene to rescue passengers.

While the passengers scattered to New Jersey and Manhattan on ferries and other watercraft -- some to hospitals -- several gave interviews sopping wet.

"The pilot turned around (and) made a line for the river. There was just a lot of silence and everybody was just waiting for what the pilot would say," one passenger, identified as Fred, told CNN's Wolf Blitzer. "A few minutes later, he said, 'prepare for impact' and then we went into the water."

The crash was witnessed by "Good Morning America" co-anchor Robin Roberts, who was at her apartment on Manhattan's West Side when she saw the plane go down.

"It completely just hit the water full force, never bounced or anything like that, and came to a relatively quick stop," she told anchor Charles Gibson. "But it didn't skim along the water. ... (I) still can't believe what I saw."

"You get a call like we did this afternoon and you immediately fear the worst," ABC's Gibson said of the call the newsroom received from Roberts.