Willie Nelson Cuts Short Salt Lake City Performance Due to Breathing Problems

Oct. 12, 1996
Paul Natkin/WireImage/Getty Images

Willie Nelson organized the first Farm Aid Concert in 1985 as a way to draw attention to the loss of family farms and raise funds to help those families stay on their land. In this photo, Nelson is seen performing in Columbia, S.C., after several natural disasters, including a drought in the Great Plains and Hurricane Bertha in the Carolinas, ravaged numerous family farms. The concert also featured Hootie and the Blowfish, the Beach Boys, Martina McBride, John Conlee and Jewel.


The 84-year-old singer tweeted that he was suffering from altitude sickness.

Country legend Willie Nelson cut short a concert due to breathing problems, according to various reports from the scene. He later tweeted that he was suffering from altitude sickness and was "headed for lower ground."

The 84-year-old singer was performing the early part of his set when he left the stage Sunday night at the USANA Amphitheatre in Salt Lake City.

Nelson, who has battled with a string of health complaints in recent months, was reportedly taken to a local hospital. Billboard has reached out to Nelson's reps for comment.

The latest health concern comes after a report published by Radar Online in March quoted an anonymous source saying Nelson was "deathly ill." Elaine Schock, Nelson's publicist, denied the claim and said he was "perfectly fine." Nelson nixed several shows in late January and early February with a "bad cold," though he has performed on various occasions since.

The Country Music Hall of Famer's most recent album, God's Problem Child, bowed atop Billboard's Top Country Albums chart in May, his 17th No. 1 on the survey (and third to arrive at the summit). God's Problem Child also cracked the top 10 on the Billboard 200 (peaking at No. 10).

Nelson has been the target of various online death hoaxes over the years. He addresses them in the God's Problem Child song "Still Not Dead." 

More to come....