Woman testifies 'demonic' Spector threatened her


A woman who became close to Phil Spector in the 1980s testified Monday that after being sweet and attentive he suddenly turned "demonic," put a gun to her face when she tried to leave at the end of a party, forced her at gunpoint into his bedroom and to disrobe and then tried to have sex with her.

Dianne Ogden, a veteran music talent coordinator, was the second woman called by the prosecution to support its case that the famed record producer's pattern of threatening women with guns led to the killing of actress Lana Clarkson, who was shot through the mouth at Spector's suburban Alhambra mansion on Feb. 3, 2003.

Ogden told of a 1989 incident in which Spector seemed to undergo a personality change as she put her purse over her shoulder and tried to leave another Spector mansion in Pasadena after a party.

"He was screaming at me, the F-word," she said. "He wasn't my Phil, not the man I loved. It wasn't him. He was demonic. It scared the hell out of me."

She said he first approached her with a rifle, then picked up a pistol and "he put it all over me, yelling things."

Ogden pointed to various parts of her face to indicate where the gun was pointed.

"It was like he was taken over by something. It wasn't Phillip. ... It was a high-pitched screaming voice and the F-word was in there everywhere and 'b----,"' the witness said, becoming tearful.

"I said, 'Phillip, please let me go. Put the gun down,"' she testified.

Ogden said she was terrified.

"I couldn't hear him anymore. It was like, 'What am I going to do? He's going to kill me,"' she testified.

At that point, she said, Spector ordered her up to his bedroom.

"Did he try to be intimate?" asked Deputy District Attorney Pat Dixon.

"Yes he did," she said. "... He did it by gunpoint. He wanted to rape me."

Ogden said Spector tried to have sex with her and it was "icky."

"I had never had a sexual relationship with him," she said.

"Did you that night?" asked Dixon.

"He tried," she said.

The next morning, the witness said, she awoke to Spector singing in the shower "like nothing had happened."

Ogden said Spector never talked about what happened and never said he was sorry.

"I really did care about him and if we were going to make love I didn't want it to be like that," she said

At some point during the incident, she said, "He said he was going to blow my brains out. That wasn't romantic."

"Did he say it once or more than once?" asked Dixon.

"Over and over again," she said.

In spite of the confrontation, she said, "I still cared about him and I knew he had a problem, a drinking problem. I thought if he wasn't drinking that wouldn't have happened. I forgave him."

Ogden said that over the years she would hear from Spector occasionally and he would send her birthday cards and roses. She said she continued to care for him, but broke off contact

She said, however, that she went to his house again for a gathering with two old friends and when she got up to leave, "Phillip from behind me said, 'You're not going anywhere.' He said, 'I have an Uzi with me and I'm going to kill you.'

"I said, 'Phillip don't do this to me again. You've been drinking."'

Ogden said he ran after her with the Uzi in his hand but she jumped into her car and gunned the engine.

"I went flying out of there," she said.

"He was running after me with the Uzi. He was yelling the whole time," she said.

After that incident, she said, "I thought that's it. He wasn't going to listen to me, like, 'You need help, Phillip."'

"Did you ever see him again?" asked Dixon.

"No," she said. "That was it."

Ogden said she first met Spector through a friend in 1982, considered him "funny" and "a gentleman," and at some point was invited to his home in the Hollywood Hills. But she said that when she tried to leave he used a remote switch to lock the doors.

"After begging him a couple of times he did finally unlock the door," she said.

She said Spector "wasn't really laughing but I was because I was nervous."

In the midst of her testimony, Ogden interrupted the prosecutor to make clear that she was only testifying because she had been subpoenaed. She said district attorney's investigators located her in Park City, Utah, and banged on her door early one morning in 2004 to question in connection with the Clarkson case. She said she had never previously told her story to law enforcement.

Earlier in the trial, former Spector girlfriend Dorothy Melvin testified that he threatened her with a gun and hit her on the head when she tried to leave his Pasadena home. She said she called police after fleeing but didn't press charges.

On Monday, jurors heard expletive-laced phone messages from Spector to Melvin shortly after the incident, telling her "be careful what you say to me because nothing you say is worth your life."

There were also several messages in which Spector apologized for his behavior.

Spector rose to fame in the 1960s and '70s, changing rock music with what became known as the "Wall of Sound" recording technique. Clarkson, who was a hostess at the House of Blues when she met Spector, was best known for a 1980s role in Roger Corman's "Barbarian Queen."