Elizabeth Chambers Addresses Armie Hammer Claims: "I Am Shocked, Heartbroken and Devastated"

Elizabeth Chambers took to Instagram on Monday to address the claims swirling around ex-husband Armie Hammer for the past month, which have led to his exit from two high-profile Hollywood projects as he has faced allegations of sexual misconduct and cannibalistic fantasies.

“For weeks, I’ve been trying to process everything that has transpired. I am shocked, heartbroken, and devastated. Heartbreak aside, I am listening and will continue to listen and educate myself on these delicate matters. I didn’t realize how much I didn’t know,” posted Chambers, who built a career as a TV host (Today) and an entrepreneur with the buzzy Bird Bakery in Dallas. “I support any victim of assault or abuse and urge anyone who has experienced this pain to seek the help she or he needs to heal.”

She added that she won’t be commenting further on the matter. “My sole focus and attention will continue to be on our children, on my work and on healing during this incredibly difficult time. Thank you for all of the love and support, and thank you in advance for your continued kindness, respect, and consideration for our children and me as we find ways to move forward.”

The latter sentiment is not unlike what the pair shared last July when Hammer and Chambers announced they were divorcing after 10 years of marriage and 13 years “as best friends, soulmates, partners and then parents.” They posted identical statements on Instagram, calling their marriage “an incredible journey” but one that had reached its end. “As we enter into this next chapter, our children and relationship as co-parents and dear friends will remain our priority,” the statement continued, referencing their two children, Harper and Ford. “We understand this news lends itself to public dialogue, but in the interest of our children and our family, we’re asking for privacy, compassion and love during this time.”

What followed was a flurry of headlines about their co-parenting setup as they spent months apart. Chambers stayed with the children in the Cayman Islands, where they had been living during the pandemic, and Hammer remained stateside for an extended period of time before eventually reuniting over the holidays.

The glare only intensified over the past month after an Instagram account called House of Effie posted a series of direct messages allegedly from Hammer. The unverified messages, some that date back several years, detailed affairs, sexual misconduct and cannibalistic fantasies. Two women, Paige Lorenze and Courtney Vucekovich, came forward to Page Six with on-the-record accounts: Lorenze said he used a knife to brand her with the letter "A," while Vucekovich said he told her that he wanted to eat her rib.

An attorney for Hammer told Page Six: "The stories being perpetuated in the media are a misguided attempt to present a one-sided narrative with the goal of tarnishing Mr. Hammer’s reputation, and communications from the individuals involved prove that.”

Hammer's résumé has taken a hit. The Hollywood Reporter confirmed Hammer was exiting Shotgun Wedding, which was to find him co-starring with Jennifer Lopez. “I’m not responding to these bullshit claims but in light of the vicious and spurious online attacks against me, I cannot in good conscience now leave my children for 4 months to shoot a film in the Dominican Republic," Hammer said in a statement to THR. "Lionsgate is supporting me in this, and I’m grateful to them for that.”

The fallout continued. Last week, Hammer exited The Offer, a series about the making of the iconic film The Godfather for ViacomCBS’ steaming platform Paramount+. Despite calling the claims “bullshit,” the impact on Hammer’s career has been substantial. Last week, THR reported that Hammer’s Call Me by Your Name collaborators — filmmaker Luca Guadagnino and co-star Timothée Chalamet — had linked up on a new project with Taylor Russell titled Bones & All, about a young woman on a search to find out where her cannibalistic tendencies come from. When Just Jared posted the news on its Instagram account, Chambers responded, “No. Words.”

It had been her only comment on the matter until today. Several celebrities responded to Chambers' Instagram post, including Olivia Munn and Busy Philipps. “One of the strongest people I know. Your kids are beyond lucky to have you,” Munn wrote. Philipps said, “Sending you love.”