- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
ABC Family is looking for a few good (and bad) spellers.
The youth-skewing cable network has handed a series order to Spell-Mageddon, The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively.
Spell-Mageddon is described as a spelling bee meets Wipe Out, where contestants take on hilarious distractions while spelling increasingly challenging words during each hourlong episode.
The series is created by Thinkfactory Media’s Adam Reed, Adam Freeman and Leslie Greif (History’s Hatfields & McCoys, Gene Simmons: Family Jewels). The trio will executive produce Spell-Mageddon alongside Jeff Krask (NBC’s upcoming Million Dollar Mind Game) and Michael Canter (1 vs. 100).
ABC Family will debut Spell-Mageddon on Wednesday, July 24, at 9 p.m., following Melissa and Joey and Baby Daddy as the cabler bulks up on unscripted programming for summer.
The series joins fellow first-year unscripted entries Dancing Fools and The Vineyard on ABC Family’s summer lineup. On the scripted side, the network home of Pretty Little Liars will debut freshmen The Fosters and Twisted in June.
For its part, Thinkfactory Media also produces Preachers’ Daughters at Lifetime and WEtv’s upcoming Marriage Bootcamp: Bridezillas, among others.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day