- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
ABC picked up Scrubs from NBC’s discard pile last year, now ABC has made a deal to snatch up CBS’ The New Adventures of Old Christine if CBS cancels the show. One almost suspects ABC’s Steve McPherson is doing this as some sort of guerrilla programming tactic just to pressure rivals into keeping their low-rated comedies on the air. After all, it’s not like the network benefited much from Scrubs coming over…
By Nellie Andreeva
CBS’ bubble comedy series “The New Adventures of Old Christine” isassured of a 22-episode fifth-season order.
ABC has closed a back-up deal with series producer Warner Bros. TVthat guarantees a full-season order to “Christine” if CBS doesn’tpick up the show.
This is the second consecutive year ABC has made such a pact forthe multicamera sitcom starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus as a neuroticdivorcee. The network’s chief, Stephen McPherson, is considered abig fan of the show.
For now, the odds are in favor of CBS renewing “Christine,” whichhelped the network open a second comedy block on Wednesdays.
But with the comedy going down to the wire every year with11th-hour pickups at CBS, the back-up deal with ABC givesreassurances to “Christine’s” producers, who are seeking to sellthe series in syndication. ABC and WBTV declined comment
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day