- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
ABC News is taking advantage of the chaos surrounding the second presidential debate between President Donald Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden.
The network says that Biden has agreed to participate in a town hall Oct. 15, the same night the debate was scheduled to be held. George Stephanopoulos will moderate the town hall, which will be held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The exact timing of the debate is still TBD.
Oct. 15 was supposed to be the date Trump and Biden faced off in a town hall debate, which was set to be moderated by C-SPAN’s Steve Scully from Miami, Florida. Thursday morning, the Commission on Presidential Debates announced that the debate would be held remotely as a result of Trump’s battle with COVID-19.
In response, Trump said he would not participate in the debate, accusing the CPD of “trying to protect Biden” and saying, “I’m not going to waste my time at a virtual debate.”
Ultimately, the Trump campaign requested that the second debate be moved to Oct. 22, with the third debate pushed to Oct. 29. The Biden campaign responded that it would “find an appropriate place to take questions from voters directly on Oct. 15,” and that “Trump’s erratic behavior does not allow him to rewrite the calendar, and pick new dates of his choosing.”
ABC News had previously hosted a town hall with President Trump in September, also moderated by Stephanopoulos. At the time, the network said it offered a town hall to the Biden campaign, but could not come to an agreement on timing.
The back-and-forth over the second scheduled debate apparently gave ABC, and Biden, an opening.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day