- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
ABC is expressing faith in Fresh Off the Boat.
The sophomore comedy has secured a full-season back-nine order, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.
Renewed for 13 episodes — the same as its freshman run, for which the 1990s-set comedy launched midseason — the Tuesday comedy returned with a fall launch and a strong lead-in from proven brand The Muppets. The season-two premiere pulled an impressive 6 million total viewers and 1.9 million among adults 18-49 following The Muppets‘ solid debut. That was up from the season-one finale in April. Through three episodes, the series is averaging 5.2 million total viewers in live-plus-same-day returns.
Produced by 20th Century Fox — one of an increasingly rare off-net sale as networks continue to strive for owning their content — Fresh Off the Boat is inspired by Eddie Huang‘s memoir of the same name.
The critical darling, under showrunner Nahnatchka Khan, delivered solid ratings during its first season despite opening the night at 8 p.m. The Asian-American single-camera family comedy also serves as one of ABC’s most diverse offerings and helped fuel an industrywide trend. Randall Park, Constance Wu and Hudson Yang star.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day