- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
ABC’s untitled NBA comedy has found its pro.
Former Tulsa Hurricane forward Blondy Baruti will star in the comedy set in the world of the NBA, The Hollywood Reporter has learned, with Draft Day‘s Laura Steinel also boarding the pilot.
Read more TV Pilots 2015: The Complete Guide
The buddy comedy is set in the world of the NBA and centers on a rookie (Baruti) who doesn’t speak English and a translator who doesn’t speak basketball.
Baruti will star as Mo, the basketball rookie who is overwhelmed with the glitz and glamour of the NBA. Steinel is set as Marty, the assistant trainer for the NBA team who explains to Mo’s translator, Jason (Pitch Perfect‘s Skylar Astin), that he must be the rookie’s link to everything on and off the court.
Baruti was a high school standout whose promising collegiate career was cut short due to an injury ahead of the 2012-13 season.
David Windsor and Casey Johnson (Trophy Wife) will pen the script for the single-camera comedy. Neighbors alum Dan Fogelman will executive produce alongside Mike Tollin, Peter Guber and Aaron Kaplan. John Fortenberry will direct the pilot, which hails from ABC Studios, Rhode Island Ave. Productions, Mandalay Sports Media, Kapital Entertainment and the NBA.
Steinel is repped by UTA and Principato Young.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day